Text    Map    Google Map

    The first written notice about Ľubica is from the year 1251. The Ungarian King Stephan V. awarded Ľubica municipal rights in 1271. From that time forward it became a king´s town.
    In the 17-th century it was one of the riches towns in the Spiš region. It had a right to promote open markets three times a year. About twenty guilds were active here. Economic development of the town declined while it was (as a part of a deposit) given to the Polish King Zigmund as counter-value for the financial loan between 1412 and 1772. The spa in Ľubica was opened for public in 1714, but it was closed in 1952, when a military training field was established close to the town. In 1878 it was officially transformed from a town into a village.
    Historical centre with a large number of townsmen, craftsmen and farmer´s houses remained preserved up to present day. You will find there the biggest two-naves church in the Spiš region - a church of Mary Virgin from the 13-th century. Inside, there is a gothic altar with a statue of Madonna made by master John Paul from Levoča. Other important cultural monuments are: a gothic church of St. Ghost, an evangelic baroque-classicistic church and the highest Mariany column with a statue of Immaculata in the Spiš region.
    Ľubica completely burned down several times. A firemen engine from the 19-th century is still operational.
    Dávid Fröhlich (1595 - 1648), a professor of mathematics and an astronomer, was the first one who climbed up to the Kežmarský Pinnacle in 1615. He was born in Ľubica. He wrote geographic books - Medulla geographiae practicae (1639) and Bibliotheca seu Cynosura Peregrinantium (1644), describing the first known information about the High Tatras.



Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy