The settlement was founded in 1890, when the first building (a small tourist hut) was finished. Around the hut other boarding and lodging facilities were built.
In 1927 the settlement was nationalised. State decided that Vyšné Hágy would be a sanatory and a recreational centre. A sanatory of Workers Insurance Company was opened in 1941. At that time it was the largest tuberculosis sanatory in the Central Europe.
When the number of patients with tuberculosis came down, the sanatory expanded its healing program with respiration illnesses. The sanatory equipment enables to perform surgical help and scientific research.
NOTE: Administrative part of the town Vysoké Tatry (High Tatras)