Tatranská Lomnica
   Text    Map    Detailed map    Google Map


    An important tourist - recreational village, situated on the both sides of the road „Freedom". It is a suitable starting point for hikes to the central and eastern part of the High Tatras.
    Tatranská Lomnica was founded in Veľká Lomnica district in 1892. The first bigger buildings were the Hotel Lomnica (1893) and the Grandhotel Praha (Prague - 1905). The Ungarian state sold some local parcels to rich businessmen who intended to build private summer-houses there.
    Between two World Wars, numerous modern pensions were built here. The biggest, hotel Morava, was built by the Moravian Land Insurance Company from Brno. A very popular attraction is a cable car to the Lomnický Peak.
    After the World War 2 Tatranská Lomnica became an important international tourist and recreational centre. Except of hotels and pensions, many new stores, services, administrative buildings, hospital, ski centre and a large residential area were built up.
    It is recommended to see a late-gothic Evangelic church (1902) and a summer-house of Tudor Szécheny (1913), which is called as an „old museum" because in 1959 - 1968 there was a TANAP (The National Park of the High Tatras) museum in the building.
    In the settlement, there is an office of State Forests of Tatras National Park. Their scientific research centre and museum have been situated in the same building since 1968, too. Architect Pavol Merjavý was awarded a price of Dušan Jurkovič for the design of this building.

Note: Central part of the town High Tatras

WEBCAMERAS:
    
Pohľad na lyžiarsky areál
 
Pohľad na stanicu Štart

MAPS:
                         

PHOTO ALBUMS:
                                               








Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy