Pribylina
   Text    Map    Google Map


    The first written reference about the village is from the year 1286 under the name "Perbenye" as a part of property of the king Ondrej, the founder of the lineage of the Pongrácz family. He owned the village till abolishment of villeinage in 1848. The village was situated on both banks of the local creek that flows into the village close to a firehouse and leaves it behind an old school building.
    The rest of the village was built in the 18-th and the 19-th century. Its current name was derived from the name "pribyt", which in the Slovak language means "to add". The local accent has hard sounding. Original inhabitants worked as guards of mountain border-crossing points. The local population was about 1547 people in 1858. Nowadays it is only about 1350 people.
    In the village, there is a Roman-Catholic church of St. Catherine, built in the neo-baroque style in 1910 on the foundations of a wooden church, and an Evangelic church neo-roman church, built according to the project of M.M. Harminc in 1902.
    The most attractive for tourists is a Museum of a traditional Liptov Region Village. The museum collects remains from the village that was flooded by building a water dam Liptovská Mara. The museum creates a model of several landlord villages. The high buildings of a late-gothic manor-house in Parížovce and an early-gothic church of Virgin Mary in Liptovská Mara dominate in the local architecture.

NOTE: A settlement Podbanské is a part of the village Pribylina.

MAPS:
                         

PHOTO ALBUMS:
                                           






Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy