Podbanské
   Text    Map    Google Map


    This village is situated right between the West and the High Tatras.
    The process of founding the village has been since the 15-th century connected with mining industry.
    In the 17-th century many local people kept cattle. The first tourists used sheds of shepherd, too. A gamekeeper house, Nadbanské, was built in 1871, while a saw-mill and a mill for crushing spruce crust for the factory in Liptovský Hrádok were built shortly after.
    By the end of the 19-th century tourists visiting Liptovský Mikuláš started to call for building spa. The building of a simple hostel was finished only in 1925. At that time a road from the Štrbské pleso (Štrbské Mountain-lake) through Tri studničky (Three Wells) to Podbanské was finished, too.
    Ten wooden houses with stone foundations and electric lighting were built according to a project of a Forest Company shortly after the World War II. One of them was equipped as a canteen and the rest were family houses. In August 1956 the II. National Tourist Meeting was held in the village (4000 participants). Later the settlement became a modern tourist and ski centre. The hotel Kriváň as well as the hotel Permon was open shortly before the World Ski Championship in 1970.
    During the Slovak National Uprising (1944) the village was an important centre of guerilla troops in the High Tatras. Flow of military operations is figured on a metal-plastic map at the central parking place.

Note: Local part of the village Pribylina.

MAPS:
                         

PHOTO ALBUMS:
                                             






Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy