Lendak
   Text    Map    Google Map


    Lendak is situated in the northwestern part of the Poprad basin, 3 km from the settlement Tatranská Kotlina. The village was founded at the beginning of the 13-th century (there is no written reference). The Berzeviczy family exchanged the village with crusaders for the property in Chmeľovo in 1313. As a result, a monastery was founded.
    The Lendak County existed till 1593, when monks sold the estates to the Horváth - Palocsay family, and Lendak became a seat of the Palocsay family. Salomon (in 1856) and Hohenlohe families (1879) owned some estates here. (In the 1787 the village had 81 houses and 750 inhabitants.)
    Local shepherds were famous all around the region. They also produced whitewash and flax. Also after the World War 1 shepherding was the most common craft here. A big fire in 1946 destroyed 70 % of houses in the village. In the village, there is a gothic Roman-Catholic church from the 14-th century (renovated in 1925). Inside you will find a late-gothic altar from the 15-th century. A former monastery was rebuilt into a family house.
    A peculiar feature of the village are bockhouses with saddle-shaped and a shield, that have all blue rifts.

MAPS:
                       

PHOTO ALBUMS:
                   






Spiš | Gemer | Liptov | Horehronie | Slovak Paradise | High Tatras | Low Tatras | Belianske Tatras
Pieniny | Spiš Castle | St. James’s Church | castle of Stará Ľubovňa | Krásna Hôrka | AquaCity | Bešeňová | Tatralandia | Vrbov | Vyšné Ružbachy